I've been out of the shop for a week working on a music video set but I managed to make some progress on the X Desk. Both sides are glued together now using 1.5" dowels on the miter joint. I cleaned up the glue and fixed some minor gaps, overall it was a good glue up, a bit stressful though and I had to do it on the floor because it was way to big to do on my workbench.
I'm trying a new technique i've been researching using danish oil and sanding while it's still wet. This creates a slurry and fills the pores creating an ultra smooth finish and reflects light more evenly. I tried it on a test piece and decided to go for it on the bottom of the desk for practice on the top side. The first coat went very well and I can already tell that the finish will be extra smooth.
Next up, brass X inserts on the miter joint, final finish and leg attachment.